Frederick Covenant of UU Pagans
We are an official member of the national Covenant of Unitarian Universalist Pagans (CUUPS), an organization dedicated to:
- Networking Pagan-identified Unitarian Universalists,
- Educating people about Paganism,
- Promoting interfaith dialogue,
- Developing Pagan liturgies and theologies, and
- Supporting Pagan-identified UU religious professionals.
Upcoming Rituals & Services
Please visit our official website at frederickcuups.com for a full list of all upcoming Rituals, Earth Services, Celebrations and Events.
Earth-centered Spirituality Service (2nd Sundays)
- Currently our Earth-centered Spirituality Group meets on the 2nd Sunday of each month at 10:30 a.m. in the Chapel. This time provides an opportunity to focus on the Sixth Source of Unitarian Universalism: "Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature." Please visit our calendar page to confirm the time and date of future gatherings.
The Wheel of the Year
We gather to celebrate each of the eight holidays, or Sabbats, on the Wheel of the Year, which mark the seasons of the Sun — the Solstices, Equinoxes, and points in between in European traditions. Through the eight Sabbats, many contemporary Pagans attune themselves to the creative forces of the cosmos. All rituals are family-friendly unless otherwise specified.
The holidays we celebrate are:
- Samhain or Halloween - This is the time of year the light noticeably fades. Pagans reflect on and review the past year and welcome the Celtic New Year. In this season, Pagans also honor death as a part of the sacred circle of life and remember those who have died.
- Yule, the Winter Solstice - This is the shortest day and longest night of the year. Pagans welcome the rebirth of the Sun with feasting, dancing, music and festivities. Decorations include wreaths, boughs of holly, mistletoe, evergreens, and lots of lights.
- Imbolc or Candlemas - This is the time to celebrate the growing daylight. Pagans celebrate with candles and fire to symbolize the renewing power of the Sun's illumination in Nature and new beginnings in ourselves.
- Ostara the Spring Equinox - On the first day of Spring, when day and night are balanced, Pagans honor that balance and seek it within while rejoicing in the stirrings of life in Nature.
- Beltane or May Day - This is the day for dancing around maypoles in honor of the fertility of the Earth made possible by the increased warmth of the Sun.
- Litha, the Summer Solstice - On the longest day of the year, with the Sun at its highest point in the sky, Pagans rejoice in the Sun's life-giving warmth and ability to make things grow.
- Lammas or Lughnasad - This is the time of year when plants first start to drop their fruits or seeds. With the days growing shorter, Pagans celebrate the bounty of the Earth with the first harvests of grains.
- Mabon, the Autumn Equinox - Again the days and nights are of equal length and Pagans acknowledge the balance. This inaugurates a season of preparation and the transition from the ease of summer to the colder tasks of winter.
We, the Frederick CUUPS (Covenant of Unitarian Universalist Pagans) group of the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Frederick, honor the UUA 7th principle; “Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part”. We provide support to all seeking to live a life more in balance with nature by exploring the teachings and traditions of various pagan and Earth-centered religions and philosophies.
We adhere to the mission statement of UUCF, National CUUPS, and the principles of the Unitarian Universalist Association. We promote personal responsibility and integrity, diversity and compassion, competency and education in the pursuit of spiritual balance.
We offer our talents and abilities in service to our fellow congregants at UUCF and the greater Frederick community by providing celebrations to honor the Earth and its cycles. We seek both mirth and reverence, and we honor the Divine in many forms.
For More Information
To be added to the email distribution list for CUUPs and Earth-centered Spirituality services, fill out the form below.
Note: The short link to this webpage is frederickuu.org/cuups