Black Lives Matter
8th UU Principle
"Journeying toward spiritual wholeness by working to build a diverse multicultural Beloved Community by our actions that accountably dismantle racism and other oppressions in ourselves and our institutions.]*
- 75 Things White People Can Do for Racial Justice & Justice in June, which allows you to choose how much time you have each day to become more informed as step one to becoming an active ally to the black community: 10 minutes/day, 25 minutes/day, 45 minutes/day, etc.
- Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ Frederick)
- Poor People's Campaign: Moral Justice Jubilee Policy Platform
- Slides from Rev. Carl's presentation on "#DefundThePolice?: Background Behind the Hashtag & Where Do We Go from Here?" (July 5, 2020)
- Unitarian Universalist Association
- We must demilitarize & defund the police, we must defund & decarcerate the jails (A Special UUA President’s Column, June 4, 2020)
- It’s Time to Defund the Police (Press Release, June 29, 2020)
- Report of the UUA Commission on Institutional Change (currently free online)
- While communities across the country mourn the loss of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Tony McDade, Jamel Floyd, and so many more Black victims of police murder, Campaign Zero released its #8CantWait campaign, offering a set of eight reforms they claim would reduce police killings by 72%.
- As police and prison abolitionists, we believe that this campaign is dangerous and irresponsible, offering a slate of reforms that have already been tried and failed, that mislead a public newly invigorated to the possibilities of police and prison abolition, and that do not reflect the needs of criminalized communities.
- We honor the work of abolitionists who have come before us, and those who organize now. A better world is possible. We refuse to allow the blatant co-optation of decades of abolitionist organizing toward reformist ends that erases the work of Black feminist theorists. As the abolitionist organization Critical Resistance recently noted, 8 Can’t Wait will merely "improve policing’s war on us.”
*The Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) is in the middle of a process of potentially incorporating some version of this statement into the UU Principles. In June 2018, UUCF joined a growing number of UU congregations who have committed to living out this proposed 8th Principle at the congregational level during this interim period. For more information, visit 8thprincipleuu.org.
(The short link to this page is frederickuu.org/BLM.)