Meditation-Yoga (or Meditation-only) Mini-Retreat with Irene Glasse & Rev. Carl
- October 27, 2018 (9:00 a.m. - Noon)
- $15 in advance (no later than the day before) / $20 at door (split between the instructors & UUCF; sliding scale available upon request).
- Pay in advance through our October Retreat Eventbrite link.
- Please spread the word, and bring a friend! You can help raise awareness about this event through our October Retreat Facebook Event.
- Both the meditation and yoga portions can be modified for all bodies, done from a chair, etc. Please contact if you have questions about accommodations that you haven't informed us about from a previous retreat.
8:45 a.m. Registration (set-up mat/cushions/chairs)
9:00 a.m. - 9:45 a.m. Meditation: Individual & Social (45 minutes)
9:45 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. Yoga* (45 minutes)
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m. Mindfulness of Movement: Atrium or Outside / Break (15 minutes)
10:45 a.m. - 11:15 a.m. Meditation: Individual & Social (30 minutes)
11:15 a.m. - 11:45 a.m. Yoga* (30 minutes)
11:45 a.m. Closing Reflections (15 minutes)
12:00 p.m. End
(*) Meditation-only Option: If there is one (or more) people who would prefer to go deeper into the meditation practices (instead of yoga), Rev. Carl will facilitate meditation sessions during either or both of the two yoga segments.
What to Bring
- Dress comfortably
- Yoga Mat
- Meditation Cushion/Seat/Bench. Chairs will also be available.
- If you plan to use a chair, depending on your needs, you may want to bring a small pillow for support of your lower back during meditation.
- If you are interested in purchasing a cushion, seat, or bench, one good option is The Monastery Store.)
- Optional: water bottle,
- Optional: light snack (can be eaten at beginning of moving meditation time),
- Optional: light blanket (if you might be cold from the air conditioning during the meditation time)
The Rev. Dr. Carl Gregg holds a Doctor of Ministry and a Diploma in the Art of Spiritual Direction from San Francisco Theological Seminary, a Master of Divinity from Brite Divinity School, and a Bachelor of Arts in Religion and Philosophy (cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa) from Furman University. He has been the minister at Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Frederick (Maryland) since 2012. He is a student in the meditate.io practice community, known in a previous incarnation as Buddhist Geeks.
Irene Glasse is a Yoga Teacher, National Academy of Sports Medicine Certified Personal Trainer, Reiki Master and Musician based in Western Maryland. She's an Ordained Minister, a Labyrinth Apprentice of the New England Labyrinth Guild, and a High Priestess of the Tradition of the Witches Circle. Irene has been reading Tarot for 24 years and practicing Paganism for 21 years. She currently teaches weekly yoga classes, facilitates monthly Labyrinth walks, leads Earth-based spirituality services through Frederick CUUPS (Covenant of UU Pagans) and performs Readings and Healings.
- monasterystore.org - Among the many good options for purchasing a meditation seat/cushion/mat for at-home practice, this was the best option when Carl last researched this question.
- Insight Timer - an extremely useful aid for meditating: "Home to more than 1,900,000 meditators, Insight Timer is rated as the top free meditation app on the Android and iOS stores." This app is the bell/timer that Carl uses during the retreat.
- Meditate.io Guided Meditations - good balance of formal and life practices, spanning 5 different styles of practice: Concentration, Mindfulness, Heartfulness, Inquiry, & Awareness.
- Ananda Shala: Irene teaches yoga classes regularly at this studio in Downtown Frederick. She also offers a beginner's class at UUCF on Tuesdays at 10:00 a.m.
- UUCF Buddhist Fellowship - currently with meetings twice/month on Sundays as well as weekly on Wednesdays midday and Thursday evenings. There is also a separate Buddhist-based Addiction Recovery Group on Thursday evenings.
How to Meditate (Basic)
- How to Meditate by Tara Brach (pamphlet)
- Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Gunaratana (book)
- Learn to Meditate: Foundational Practices by Reggie Ray (audio)
How to Meditate (Intermediate to Advanced)
- Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English: An Introductory guide to Deeper States of Meditation by Bhante Gunaratana
- The Mind Illuminated: A Complete Meditation Guide Integrating Buddhist Wisdom and Brain Science by Culadasa (John Yates), Ph.D.
- Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha: An Unusually Hardcore Dharma Book (Second Edition Revised and Expanded) by Daniel M. Ingram
(The short link to this page is frederickuu.org/retreat.)